Linux
(02-08-2017, 12:01 PM)mikelat Wrote: You can do a PCI bypass with a video card and run games on a windows vm in linux. I'm basically planning on doing that when I have no other choice, I'm hoping the tech for it becomes even better in the meantime.

I tried 3D acceleration some years ago (or however long ago it was), but it was horrible. I just recently came to think of it again after all this time, and thought I'd torture myself by running Stalker in a VM. *cough* yes... Stalker... VM, I just used those two words in the same sentence.

Imagine my surprise when I got a solid 130-170 FPS with static lighting and 50-100 FPS with full dynamic lighting, at 1920×1080 and default graphical settings. Considering I only have an i5-4690K and GTX-960 (far from anything ludicrous in specs), I found that to be quite impressive. As long as you're not playing too new or demanding a game, pass-through GPU is most certainly a viable option!

(02-08-2017, 12:01 PM)mikelat Wrote: Debain is very much the go-to these days as its what most modern programs and games are targeted for. It also remains very up to date because of the *buntu stuff now.

Is SteamOS Debian too?

I can only hope and wish that Vulkan (and that Microsoft fucks up Windows even more) brings even more game development to Linux.

(02-08-2017, 12:01 PM)mikelat Wrote: The only way they make windows appealing to me again is if they go backwards and strip down most of the shit they added, but I don't think they'll ever do that. They started making it for stupid people with forcing updates and all that.

Unless something major happens, power users under Windows are pretty much fucked. Apparently the money from milking your average user brings in more than enough money to tell power users to go sob into a jarjar of ice cream/peanut butter/pick your poison.
The VM 3D acceleration is horrible yes, because its still emulated. The PCI bypass lets you set a video card to exclusively be used by the VM OS. Apparently with PCI bypass you play games at 95%+ performance of native windows.

SteamOS targets ubuntu, and therefore is easy to make it work on debain. Vulkan is supported by every major vendor except for apple, who refuses to do it because they want to make their own priority solution (they'll fall in line as soon as the latest games "dont work" on OSX), so we can expect more native games, or at least games running in wine.
mikelat everyone
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=pascal-win10-linux